Our mission is to provide information to the community on how to maintain or improve their health by making better choices about lifestyle, diet, adherence to medication, the management of co-morbidities, employment, and insurance as it relates to kidney disease.
Kidney Smart is meant to supplement, not replace physician education. Participants can attend the class as a walk-in, be recommended for the class by their physician, or can pre-register for the class on-line at www.kidneysmart.org. Each class will be led by a certified Kidney Smart Educator.
In a Kidney Smart class, participants can expect a friendly, trained educator to guide them through the basics of kidney disease including:
- How diet and nutrition play a role in their health
- Healthy choices they should be aware of such as exercise and smoking
- General medication rules they should be aware of
- The importance of engaging with their care team
- ALL the potential treatment options including renal replacement therapies as well as transplant and palliative care
- Optional follow-up with the educator and a patient advocate (for working and insurance questions)